Identify a task that you would need to perform in your current career or future career, and explain how you would apply the knowledge you have learned in this course….
Willingness to Listen
To be an effective communicator we must master the core competence of listening. A willingness to listen during an interaction allows you to understand others, respond appropriately to what they say, or provide helpful feedback.
Prepare: As you prepare to write this discussion post, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read the writing prompt below in its entirety. Notice that there are three tasks:
- Complete the following listening survey and record your results: How Good a Listener Are You? *Please note: though it asks if you want to sign up for their service, you are not required to do so.
- Think about how your listening style shapes your professional relationships.
- Make a list of some specific techniques from the Bevan and Sole (2014) you can use to improve your listening.
- Re-read Section 7.2: Listening.
- Review the grading rubric.
Reflect: Take time to reflect on why listening is so important in becoming better communicators. Consider how the listening techniques covered in the course text could improve your professional relationships.
Write: Based on your quiz results and what you learned in Section 7.2 of the text:
- What is your willingness to listen score? What feedback did you receive from the quiz? Why do you think this measure was an accurate or inaccurate representation of your willingness to listen?
- How do you think your willingness to listen score could impact your professional relationships?
- How can you improve your listening? Explain some specific techniques described in our text and how improvement in these areas could enhance your professional relationships. Consider what you’ve learned in class this week.
Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.
Your initial response should be 200-300 words in length and is due by Thursday, Day 3.
Respond to Peers: Review your classmates’ posts and try to find some common ground or expand on the students’ ideas. Use the text to expand everyone’s understanding of the importance of listening in communication. Ask questions that will enhance both of your understanding of the key concepts. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Monday, Day 7. Response posts must be 125 to 200 words in length. If you have questions about how to participate in discussions, consult “About Discussions” under the Course Home menu.